If more people bike or walk to campus instead of driving themselves, we will be able to reduce the approximately 20% of TCNJ’s greenhouse gas emissions that are the result of commuting to and from campus. PC3 works to promote biking to and from campus to help the campus community reduce greenhouse gases, save time, save money, reduce traffic, and get some exercise.
In an effort to increase biking to and from campus, PC3 and Bonner Scholars have hosted bike-to-campus days, when bikers are given refreshments if they arrive on a bike, they can enter raffles for bike-related prizes (helmets, lights, gift certificates), and they can receive information about bike safety and routes to campus.
Some facts about the TCNJ campus community and how they get to and from campus (from a February 2014 campus-wide survey):
- Roughly 50% of off-campus students live less than 2 miles from campus, yet only 10% walk and less than 3% bike.
- 11% of staff and 12% of faculty live less than two miles from campus, yet only 2% of staff and 3% of faculty walk to campus, and less than 1% bike on a regular basis.
- 70% of off-campus students drive to campus alone; 87% of staff and 79% of faculty drive to campus alone.
Why Should You Bike to Campus?
- Bikes cost less than cars!
- Biking reduces your carbon footprint!
- Biking is more efficient than your car for short trips!
- Biking is exercise!
- Biking can reduce road congestion and pollution!
- You can appreciate the outdoors!
- You do not have to pay for a parking pass or worry about finding a parking spot!
- Biking is therapeutic!
- You will be in great company!
- Biking can be fun!
Local bike shops:
|Bike Shop||Address||Phone||Distance from Campus|
|Trenton Bike Exchange||Capitol Plaza Shopping Center: 1500 North Olden Avenue Ewing, NJ 08638||609-571-9476||3.9 mi|
|Knapp’s Cyclery||1761 Princeton Ave
Lawrenceville NJ 08648
|Hart’s Cyclery & Fitness||7 New Jersey 31, Pennington, NJ 08534||609-737-3008||5.1 mi|
|Bike King||Big Oak Shopping Center, 364 West Trenton Avenue, Morrisville, PA 19067||215-736-3350||5.7 mi|
|Firehouse Cycling||15 South Main Street, Yardley, PA 19067||215-321-7171||5.7 mi|
|Bernies Bicycle Fitness Center||111 Route 33 Hamilton, NJ 08619||609-586-5126||7.5 mi|
|Economy Bicycle Skateboard shop||1637 Rt. 33 Hamilton Square, NJ 08690||609-586-0150||9.4 mi|
|Kopp’s Cycle||8 Spring St, Princeton, NJ||609-924-1052||10.6 mi|
|249 Nassau St, Princeton, NJ 08540||609-924-7233||10.9 mi|
|Newtown Bicycle & Fitness||30 N. State St. Newtown PA 18940||215-968-3200||11.9 mi|